[It is always the general rule of thumb not to solely take the author’s word throughout these studies, but to pray and seek the face of Yahuah for one’s self, and let the Spirit lead you into all truth (John 16:13-15).]
Reasoning Behind the Numerical Ordering
The numbering of these psalms of course should not be accounted as per se “official”. Following suit with the commonly known apocryphal Psalms 151-160; these psalms also plucked from the Dead Sea Scrolls, have different numbering depending on the original source you refer to (e.g. Psalms 151-155 being canonized in the Syriac, are not necessarily numbered as the same psalms when referring to the commonly accepted collective of Psalms 151-160). For the sake of simple clarity, continuing on in the Psalm 161 chronological general collective seems to be the only obvious step to move forward in, in an all-sincere attempt to rightfully divide, preserve, and freely share what is obviously Yahuah’s Inspired written Word.
Originally Recovered from the Dead Sea Scrolls, Hymns of Thanksgiving (1QHa, 1Q35, 4Q427-432):
This translation has been derived from:
Hymn 13: “Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English”
Hymn 17: “A New Translation”
Hymn 17: “Qumran Psalter”
- I thank You, O Yahuah,
for You have not forsaken me
while I sojourned among an alien people [complacent with sin].
- You have not judged me according to my guilt;
nor have You abandoned me
because of the designs of my evil inclination.
- But You have saved my life from the Pit:
You have set Your servant in safety
in the midst of lionesses destined for Children of Guilt,
- And of lions which crush the bones of the Mighty,
and drink the blood of the Brave.
- You have caused me to dwell with the many fishers
who spread a net upon the face of the water,
and hunt for the Children of Iniquity;
- You established me there for judgement.
- You have strengthen a counsel of truth in my heart,
and the springs of the Covenant for those who seek it.
- You have shut the mouth of the young lions
whose teeth are like a sword,
and whose fangs are like a pointed spear;
- Like the venom of serpents,
all their devises for snatching are multiplied.
- For they lay in wait,
but have not opened their mouth against me.
- But You, O Yahuah, have sheltered me
from the sons of Adam;
and have hidden Your Torah within me,
until the time You should reveal Your salvation to me.
- For You have not forsaken me in my soul’s distress,
and You have heard my cry in its bitterness;
- You considered me in my grief,
and acknowledged me when I sighed.
- You have preserved the soul of the Poor One
in the den of lions,
which sharpen their tongue like a sword.
- You have closed up their teeth, O Yahuah,
lest they rend the soul of the destitute and poor to pieces.
- You have made their tongue draw in
as a sword returning into its sheath,
lest the soul of Your servant be stricken and destroyed.
- You have dealt wondrously with Your Poor One
to manifest Your might within me
in the presence of the sons of Adam.
- You have brought him into the crucible
like gold to be refined by fire;
as silver is refined in the furnace of smiths,
purified seven times.
- The wicked and fierce have stormed against me
with their afflictions;
they have pounded my soul all day.
- But You, O Yahuah,
have changed the tempest to a breeze;
- Bringing to safety the soul of Your Poor One;
like a bird from the net,
and like prey from the mouth of lions.